Pages

Jul 27, 2018

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 1248: Howard the Duck #9, February 1977

https://www.comics.org/issue/30788/

You know all this talk of Russia meddling in the U.S. election? Fake, obviously, right? Except there's a precedent for it, a little known plot in the 1976 election by a foreign government to discredit a presidential candidate.

The culprit?

You guessed it. That den of insidious rogues known as...CANADA!!!

I told my son this earlier, and he asked why, why would anyone in Canada try to discredit the American electoral system. Well, the Beaver, our villain, wants to prove to the world that American politics and popular culture is completely and utterly toxic. Now, I'm not saying I agree, but there are definitely some toxic bits to the cultural production of the United States. But then, isn't Howard, and Howard, a product of that same pop cultural machine? Don't worry - Gerber's well aware of this. Good satire is always aware.

Despite some dodgy geography, the story's pretty funny. I love that beavers are the animal most associated with Canada. They're such unwieldy creatures, much like my beloved country itself.

More to come...

No comments: