Pages

May 13, 2018

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 1173: Cutie Honey '90 v.1 #1, January 1998

https://www.comics.org/issue/356162/

I hate to say it, but I was a bit disappointed with today's comic. I remember, vaguely, seeing the cover to the first issue of this series, a beautiful painting of the main character surrounded by a halo of light, transforming, I imagine.

I also knew that the transformation always involved Ms. Honey literally exploding out of her clothes. The comic is notorious for this feature.

What's kind of interesting here is that the nudity and sex aren't depicted for the sake of pleasure in the narrative. The implied orgasm at the beginning is the catalyst that turns a young woman into a completely naked spider woman. Cutie's transformations simply lead to a new costume/identity. Even in the back up feature, the main female character is nude for most of the story, but not sexually. I suppose this caters to a demographic that want to see naked bodies, but don't necessarily want to see sex. And want a good (or kind of good) adventure story. It's a weird fit.

I'm reminded of a film I watched many years ago called Nude on the Moon. And it was literally that. Astronauts land on the moon only to find it populated by beautiful naked women. Who just kind of hang around, naked. It doesn't really serve the plot, and, to be honest, probably makes the film much more watchable. I don't recall it being a particularly compelling story.

More to come...

No comments: