Pages

Feb 16, 2017

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 722: Angel Fire #3, October 1997

https://www.comics.org/issue/354621/

Something that I had never really thought about before I started reading from this box of oddball comics is that there are really a lot of comics in the Grand Comics Database that are represented simply by their covers. Today's comic, for example, has no other information, outside of the most bare bones technical stuff. It is a testament, I suppose, to the enormous volume of comics out there that not all of them get the loving treatment of the big books from the big companies. I had, at one point, decided that each time I came across such an undocumented comic, I would fill in all the information I could. But it's a time-consuming process, and one for which I simply do not have the time.

I really wanted to like this comic because it's written by Dan Mishkin, who wrote some of the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons comics that I dearly love and that I read very early on in this project when I thought I'd be able to go through my collection alphabetically. But, whether because it's the third issue of a three-issue series, or because it's a fairly generic kind of spy/action/pseudo-superhero story, I just didn't dig it. The art is not quite my cup of tea and the story seems like it's been told before. Numerous times, in fact.

This is not to say it's not a well-wrought comic. It's simply not to my taste.

To be continued.

No comments: