Pages

Apr 3, 2016

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 404: BIONICLE: Toa Nuva, 2002


To cap off this stretch of BIONICLE, I'll have a look at the promo comic that came with the 2002 release of the Toa Nuva. I will admit, I was guilty of misjudging this short comic for a moment or two. It consists of 4 pages of wordless story, 6 pages of pictures of the new toys, and 4 pages of ads for other Lego products. And, I was certain, the comic was lifted from BIONICLE #8, specifically the defeat of the Bahrag and the transformation of the Toa. Had it actually been the case, I would have been far more critical of this piece than I'm going to be. It was around 2002 - 2003, very early on, that the BIONICLE toy line began the practice of releasing "clone" sets. The Bohrok were all basically the same model, just coloured differently. The practice is decried in fan communities these days. Had the comic, too, been a clone, that would have been unsurprising.

But it wasn't.

I'm pretty sure, though there's no credits, that this is Carlos D'Anda and Randy Elliot doing the art. It does retell that particular part of the BIONICLE saga, but from completely different angles. It's almost as if the panels of this mini-comic could fit between the panels of the original. If I find myself with a bit of free time, maybe I'll attempt it.

Anyway, I think we'll move back over to Alpha Flight tomorrow. I'm curious to see what's been happening in 1980s Canada. Onward!

No comments: