Pages

Jan 29, 2016

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 339: Elf-Thing #1, March 1987


Any comic that uses "Alan Moore" as an adjective within its first few pages is certainly worthy of note. Elf-Thing, published in 1987, comes to the Swamp Creature game a little late, as the heyday of the genre, at least in comics, was about a decade earlier, I would say. Though it's definitely trading on Moore's Swamp Thing run and the Pini's Elfquest success.

The story is exactly the sort of on-the-nose parody you might expect from a comic with a cover like that. The titular Elf/Thing spends most of the comic naked, as the monster from whom he transformed certainly never was clad. The trend of parody comics like this one mystifies me somewhat. I have one called Supremie, about a toddler version of Image's Supreme. I suppose they're designed to appeal to the same sort of humour as Cracked or Mad, but those, too, were types of humour that always escaped me. Really, the only reason I picked this up was because it's tangentially related to the wonderful Man-Thing.

But only tangentially.

Onward!

No comments: