Pages

Jan 30, 2016

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 340: Marvel Premiere #38, October 1977


Yet more elves today, though in a far better story and a far better art style. After having become enamoured with the Secret Wars version of Weirdworld, I did a bit of searching to see where the title had come from, and lo and behold, there's a bunch of Doug Moench-penned stories spanning the late 70s and early 80s. I actually have a couple of the Marvel Super Special issues that feature Tyndall and Velanna (though at this very moment I have no idea where they are, as they aren't filed with the rest of my magazines. I hold out hope that they're somewhere in my parents' basement).

This is, of course, a very different Weirdworld to that in which Arkon searches for his lost home. Though given the nature of the realm, it's entirely likely that it's exactly the same world, just, you know, weird.

Ploog's art is lovely, and Velanna is, for a tiny person with pointed ears, quite innocently erotic. That's not so surprising, given the propensity for 60s and 70s science fiction and fantasy to always feature a beautiful, desirable woman, be it upon the cover or between them. This initial story of the two doesn't give Velanna much to do, so her character is very much wrapped up (pun intended) in her flowing locks and spider-web clothes. Hopefully she'll see a bit more action in the later stores (which I'll read and blog once I've figured out where the heck they are).

Alright. I think it might be time to leap back into the collection proper, rather than continuing to pour through my quarter bin finds. Onward!

No comments: