Pages

Apr 5, 2015

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 40: 100% #2, September 2002


I don't really have a whole lot to say today. I'm a bit tired from lack of sleep. With my candidacy exam re-take coming up, stress is starting to increase.

Two awesome things happened in this issue that have convinced me to track down the remaining two issues I don't own. One was a symphony of kettles, all tuned to C Major and times to boil together. A beautiful idea that I kind of want to try. The second was the supposition that exotic dancers would wear MRI-esque sensors on their bodies so one could see what was happening inside the woman's body as she danced. That second one raises a slew of problems, the notion of objectifying someone's insides, especially once we add in a metaphorical significance for such an act. On the other hand, it really also points to the grossness that objectification leads to. Not that I want to necessarily say that the internal workings of a human being are gross. They're us, so they're intrinsically beautiful, I think. But I don't want to watch them and get turned on. That just seems wrong.

I'm still not sold on Pope's art, I'm afraid. I know for a while he was one of those independent darlings who made some interesting strides into the mainstream, but I find his work a bit messy for my tastes. The story he's telling is interesting enough, though. I'm interested to see how this dynamic plays out between art and story. Some art is really, intensely bad, but is wrapped around a decent story, and is thus redeemable, I think. I'm not sure I hold the same opinion of bad stories wrapped around good art. We'll see, I guess.

That's it for today. See you tomorrow for the 100% #3.

No comments: