Pages

Feb 27, 2015

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 3: 2000 A.D. Presents #5, August 1985

http://www.comics.org/issue/41764/

Published by Quality Periodicals Inc.

And there's that title change, the sort of thing that drives we cataloguers crazy. Also, the date is a misprint. It has to be August 1986, but the changeover of publisher probably caused some consternation.

The Dark Judges story is good, but not great. It's a mediocre science fiction story that suffers from some mediocre art and a refusal to follow the implications of the Dark Judges to a level that would raise the story from its mediocre status. Perhaps this has been my problem with the Dredd-verse stories that I've read: science fiction is, as far as I'm concerned, meant to speculate, to metaphorize, and I don't get any of that from this story. It seems to be a precursor to the empty comics of the early 90s (which I'm sure I'll get to eventually).

"Skizz" continues to be interesting, and reading bits and pieces of it makes me want to go back and read the collected edition. The trouble is I can't decide whether I like it better in colour or in B&W. I know, I know. First world comic collector's problems.

The Abelard Snazz reprint in this issue is of some interest. According the the GCD, "[t]his is the only story not reprinted in the Titan Books collection ALAN MOORE'S TWISTED TIMES, because, according to Moore, he unknowingly lifted several ideas from a story by R. A. Lafferty." This raises an interesting notion. If it was an "unknowing" use of ideas, doesn't that still class the story as an original creative piece? I'm sure bits of songs I've written sound like other songs, but I wouldn't inhibit their dissemination for that reason. I'd just acknowledge the similarity. But that's Moore for you, I guess.

More 2000 A.D. tomorrow!

No comments: