Pages

Nov 12, 2018

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 1356: Edgar Allan Poe's Snifter of Terror #1, 2018


I hadn't realized, but I really have been tracing a bit of a lineage over the last few days.

One thing I haven't mentioned about the Moon Girl replicas is that they start with #5 because the very first EC horror story appears in it. So Moon Girl is the progenitor of the magazines that we see in the Vault of Horror reprint series. As I noted when I talked about that comic, Bruce Jones' Twisted Tales keeps the EC horror tradition alive through the waning years of the Comics Code that had ended those comics in the 50s. And now today's comic, a horror/comedy compilation, hosted by a cranky and verbose Poe, continues the tradition. It's gross, it's shocking, and, much like its earlier ancestors, it has a healthy sense of humour about itself.

I've told everyone I can to read the comics that Ahoy is putting out right now. I really am amazed at how strong every title is, and for those with multiple issues, have continued to be. There would have to be some serious, serious ball-dropping for me to lose interest in any of these titles, for which my brain is grateful, my wallet less-so.

"Dark Chocolate" - the comic opens with an adaptation of Poe's story "The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar," and then the balance of the book is given mostly to this haunting tale of a noble, a sorrowful vampire, known across the land for not giving dinner parties, but breakfasts. His name? Count Cocoa. After reading this, you'll never eat that cereal the same way again. It really is a lovely story, seemingly amusing thanks to its liberal borrowing of mascots, but growing ever more suspenseful as the sunlight creeps across the breakfast table, and the Count's narration becomes more and more harrowing.

Seriously, just go read one of their comics. I can't imagine a fan of the medium, or just a fan of good stories, not enjoying them.

More to come...

No comments: