Pages

Sep 19, 2018

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 1302: Wendy - Witchworld #49, June 1973

https://www.comics.org/issue/265259/

I actually read a Richie Rich comic for today, and then realized that I'd read it way back in the second year of the project. Which is fine - I'm happy to keep exploring the Harvey-verse.

Having just finished a Harvey Horrors collection (watch for an upcoming review), I find myself wondering if some of the same strange people working for Harvey were responsible for the less-horrific fare as well. These stories are definitely aimed at children, but there's something just a little off about them.This comic is a perfect example. Wendy's story is actually the most "normal," in that it's about her trying to go to school. But then Casper visits a land where everyone is different kinds of glass, and then Spooky paints his had with solid gold.

I want to say that there is a naive sort of magical realism going on in the stories, and in this sort of shared universe. I may have to call it the big-headverse, as Wendy shares the same very odd character design as Richie and Casper. I'll have to see if that trend continues in the other titles.

More to come...

No comments: