Pages

Jun 28, 2018

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 1219: Detective Comics #863, May 2010

https://www.comics.org/issue/740685/

Batwoman's final issue of Detective (too soon, too soon) packs a nice little punch. I have, of course, read all of these comics before, when they came out, but I noticed so much more in this story arc ("Cutter") than the last time. All three issues are this wonderful study in parallels. One that stood out to me for especial notice this month was one panel in which we see an interaction between Batman and Commissioner Gordon, and then immediately next to it is a panel depicting an interaction between Batwoman and Maggie Sawyer. From two straight while males to two gay white women is a pretty great change to see, and certainly one that Rucka and Jock are very clear about pointing out. I will say that having re-read this series, I'm even more curious about Rucka's much-lauded Wonder Woman.

We do leave a bit of a cliffhanger here for the other feature in Detective, the one that I haven't talked much about: The Question. But I think I'll leave that story for now, until I've managed to track the rest of it (if it exists) down.

More to come...

No comments: