Pages

May 29, 2018

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 1189: Myth Adventures #12, 1986

https://www.comics.org/issue/41978/

Right at the very beginning of this project, I noted that one of the reasons that I'm reading through everything is that it is supremely arrogant of me to assume that any of the comics in my collection that are not the ones I collect or have some personal interest in have nothing to offer. As both yesterday's and today's comics attest, I was right in this reason. This issue of Myth-Adventures, the last one, skewers comics conventions in a lovely way. Well, it skewers comics conventions of a particular era in a lovely way. I was chatting with a friend last night about my time as a comics shop owner, and how terrible it was, but I came to the realization that 17 years ago the comics industry was a very different place to what it is now. Opening a comic store, or running a pop culture convention, would be a very different thing to do in 2018 than it was in 2001. Or, for conventions, and this comic, in 1986.

I will also say that I'm becoming a bit more fascinated by Jim Valentino. Unlike the other members of the Image exodus, he seems to have worked with some really cool publishers (not that Marvel isn't cool, but they're a bit too mainstream most of the time), and has a definite underground bent to his aesthetic. It makes me want to track down Shadowhawk, just to see how he translates this varied history of production into the Image aesthetic.

Because I always need more comics, right?

More to come...

No comments: