Pages

May 30, 2018

The 40 Years of Comics Project - The Bi-Weekly Graphic Novel Number 67 - Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye v.2: Every Me, Every You, 2017

https://www.comics.org/issue/1780650/

This series is just so great. What the eye was doing, who made it do that, and what happened after are all amazing, and given that I'd seen, as I said last time, a single panel of Cave Carson prior to reading this, I'm so deeply involved with these characters now. There were some quite emotional moments in the comic, and I'm quite impressed by the creative team that they've managed to make me care that much about these characters in less than 12 issues. I can't wait to see where the follow-up series, Cave Carson has an Interstellar Eye, is going to go.

One thing I will say about the series that I'm slightly averse to is the level of violence. Mr. Oeming has a pretty extremely iconic style. His people look like people, but not any kind of people we can imagine in reality. But his violence is very real. Or, it's visceral, and therefore real in the reality of the characters upon whom the violence is being perpetrated.

More briefly, the violence is a bit gory for my tastes.

I'm going to have to go back and read the "Milk Wars" special of Cave and Swamp Thing, knowing, as I now do, who the heck all of these characters are anyway. And then as soon as I've a bit of money in my pocket, off to the comic store for more of the crew's wacky adventures.

Stay tuned.

No comments: