Pages

Apr 13, 2018

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 1143: Star Trek #1, February 1984

https://www.comics.org/issue/38294/


The edge of my copy of this comic, just over by where Uhura is on the cover, is quite damaged, torn and split and worn. That's because I've read and re-read this series many times over the last 34 years. My copy of this comic was first purchased by my Mum, who collected comics right along side me for quite some time. It was she who picked this one up, and the first issue of Crisis on Infinite Earths, and the first issue of Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. She wasn't a fan of Miller's take on the Dark Knight.

But she did like this series, and collected all 56 issues, along with the film tie-ins and annuals. And then she gave them to me. Which I'm totally fine with, because I really, truly love this series. Mike Barr and company perfectly translate what's great about Star Trek to a different medium. They work within the boundaries of the films that were coming out at the time, but tell remarkable stories that capture the action and the thought of the original series, while also embracing the serial nature of the medium.

I'm going to have many things to say about this run, I'm sure. But for today, let me just say I'm really excited to be delving back into it. It's been ages since I've read it.

And it makes me think of my Mum.

More to come...

No comments: