Pages

Apr 12, 2018

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 1142: Detective Comics #624, December 1990

https://www.comics.org/issue/48876/

Honestly, I'd read the entire series of Simon Petrarch's adventures as Batman. The brief glimpses we get in these three comics are mad, but such a pleasant strain of madness.

The villain gets his, eventually, and Batman figures it all out. Looking back over the story, I see now that the mystery was really just an excuse to have Flint Henry and Dick Sprang come onto the book and make something magical. It was a pretty run of the mill Batman story, but it facilitated one of the coolest Batman stories I've read. According to the GCD, this run of Detective has never been reprinted, but I highly recommend tracking it down if you want to see a really different interpretation of the Dark Knight.

I think there's something to this story that I'm going to have to think about more deeply. A repentant Satan and a soul-less adventurer team up to fight crime in Gotham City, assisted by a child possessed by an angel calling himself Robin and his psychiatrist in a red wig as Batgirl. The very explicit inclusion of Christian imagery is neat. We only usually get such blatant references in Superman stories, but Batman as repentant Satan? That's a new one for me. But I'll think more on this later.

An excellent little tale, a nice dipping of the toes back into the mainstream DCU. But tomorrow we're going somewhere else, somewhere no man has ever gone before.

More to come...

No comments: