Pages

Feb 1, 2018

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 1072: Brigade #8, March 1994

https://www.comics.org/issue/217158/

Part 2 of the massive Extreme crossover!

No, you didn't miss part 1. I don't actually have it. But the story is recapped nicely, so it's easy to catch up. What seems like the Extreme U version of the Inhumans, the Newmen, have been slaughtered, and a powerful member of the race sets out to avenge them. I think. At the end of yesterday's issue, Supreme flies off to take this guy down.

There's actually some nicely done dialogue in this issue, which, I have to say, has been a rarity in these last few comics. It turns out that Battlestone, leader of Brigade, is the son of this big bad (named Quantum, though I don't know why), and Dad comes to see if his boy will enlist in the cause.

I'm reminded of the place where I am in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., where Daisy has just met her father and told him in no uncertain terms she'll kill him if he makes a wrong move. Similarly, Battlestone refuses his father's invitation, and actively opposes the plan. Familial bonds aren't often played out this way in superhero comics, having to choose between "the mission" and the family. Not to such an extreme level, anyway. I guess the choice is easy when the parental figure in question is a homicidal maniac.

To be continued.

No comments: