Pages

Jul 9, 2017

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 865: Gremlin Trouble #17, 1999

https://www.comics.org/issue/134166/

If I'm to be completely honest, I have no idea where or when I got this comic. I'm thinking it must hearken back to the days of the Magic Mirror. Every now and again, Diamond Distributors would send out an email listing stuff that they were selling off cheap. There were lots of indie comics, some statues, action figures, that kind of thing. So I think I must have ordered this to fill out my back issues before I'd acquired a couple of collections with which to do so. Today is certainly the first time I've read an issue.

So, yes, that's a fairy with daisies covering her delicate bits on the cover. Which actually has very little to do with what goes on in the issue itself. This character (Princess Tantium of Mollymuck) is actually, purely in the context of today's issue, a secondary character. But, hey, who can resist having a sexy lady on the cover of a comic in order to grab attention?

(The answer is lots of people, but let's not hold that against the creators of this comic.)

The story itself is thoroughly intriguing, even though I'm coming in well into the series. Though the art is cute and certainly manga-styled, the story itself comes off as a Tolkien-esque fantasy. We're seeing, in this issue, the aftermath of a large battle between the fairies and the gremlins (referred to by the fairies as "goblins"), and the attempt by two of the gremlins to retrieve their lost comrades from the castle of the fairies. I get the suspicion that the story, though utilizing quite a bit of humour, is actually a pretty serious piece, though we'll have to wait and see if this is born out by the following issues. I only have a few of them, but they'll be on the docket for the next few days.

To be continued.

No comments: