Pages

Jul 8, 2017

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 864: Gambit #1, 1986

https://www.comics.org/issue/1450238/

This comic comes from the last big dollar bin purchase I made earlier this year, and for those hoping it was going to be about the god-awful X-Men character, my apologies. We'll get to him eventually. What we have here, though, is a kind of cool science fiction story starring a character who seems to be a criminal of some sort and a young lady space pilot, who are thrown together by both of them apparently knowing the woman's parents.

I'll be honest, I think I was falling asleep while reading this comic a bit. I've just looked back through it, and there are whole sections that I only vaguely recall. That'll happen sometimes.

I'm curious as to whether or not the series ever managed to get where it wanted to go. The inside cover editorial notes that a part of the story was told in an anthology/try-out book that Oracle produced, and the GCD lists one more issue of the series. Which leads me to think that the story never did reach completion. I often wonder if any of the creators behind these books that didn't really have a huge chance in the indie glut of the 80s would ever think about going to webcomics as a way of reviving the stories they tried to tell 30 years ago. It's so much easier to distribute independent comics work now than it was back then. I suppose the trouble would be whether or not the stories are relevant to the creators anymore.

To be continued.

No comments: