Pages

Mar 29, 2017

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 763: Tales of the Sun Runners v.2 #2, September 1986

https://www.comics.org/issue/356708/

Yep, whatever it was that caught my attention with these characters last time I read them has sucked me right back in. It turns out it wasn't an FCBD issue I read them in, but actually the first issue of the series, published by Pacific Comics. And just as with that issue, I'm thoroughly intrigued by the story, the characters, and the universe. Remarkably epic things seem to be happening, and I'm curious to see where it all goes.

Well, where it all goes is 2 more issues through Amazing Comics, which means the likelihood of my finding them is fairly low, as is the likelihood of the story concluding in a satisfactory manner. Nature of the beast, I suppose.

I don't know what it is about elephant-based anthropomorphized characters. The lead character in these last two issues, Doc Gibraltar, comes from a line of such creatures. I think I like how the trunks, short though they are, are used as expressive tools on the faces of the characters. It's like having a prehensile nose that reacted to your state of mind (which, for us, would be really distracting, I'm thinking). Regardless, I find them fascinating. Glen Johnson's artwork is especially expressive in the facial features, and oftentimes we can forget just how much difference this makes for us identifying with the characters, regardless of how alien they are. Perhaps this is a nice shortcut for comics that feature non-human main characters. Even if they don't look like us, if we can recognize their emotions through their facial expression, we can understand that they at least feel like us. Affect theory as applied to non-human facial features. Probably a paper in there somewhere.

To be continued.

No comments: