Pages

Mar 13, 2017

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 747: Demonslayer: Prophecy #1, September 2001

https://www.comics.org/issue/794703/

Reading a typical Avatar Press comic is a bit like reading an Image comic from the early 90s. You know, pretty much, exactly what you're going to get. I was looking at that cover, and for a while I simply assumed that the Demonslayer's costume was a very similar colour to her skin. If you look a the red "costume" parts, there seems to be no way they could possibly be covering up her nipples. But then I realized that the red bit is all there is to the costume, and that she's...I don't know. A Barbie doll? I've always thought that anatomy would be one of the first things a comics artist would know, but perhaps I'm wrong. To give Mychaels his due, the men in the comic are often naked as well, and every bit as overwrought and nipple-less.

Sorry. I just don't get it. The story is interesting, but nothing we haven't seen before. The art is provocative, or is meant to be, but I've never been a fan of Mychaels' work. Avatar publishes comics for a very specific subset of the comics-buying public. I guess I'm just not a part of that subset.

To be continued.

No comments: