Pages

Mar 4, 2017

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 738: Pep #364, August 1980

https://www.comics.org/issue/172866/

Archies, as I've noted before, are a great standby for those days where I feel like I've run out of time. Though I'm going to try to change that on days that I'm not working (i.e., weekends). I run into a bit of a problem occasionally in that I'll pick up a comic to read one morning, and it's a 100-page giant or something, and I just don't have time to read the whole thing on a work morning. So perhaps I'll try to get to them on weekends instead.

Anyway, this was a pretty standard Archie comic. I was talking with a friend the other day about Riverdale, and we were bemoaning the fact that Archie has been made into kind of a hunk in that series, whereas one of the best things about the old comics is trying to figure out exactly what it is about Archie that makes him so irresistible to Betty, Veronica, and the myriad other ladies he attracts. While he may be a talented musician (occasionally) in the comics, he's certainly not the tortured ab-life support system he is in the television series. So today's comic gives us lots of Archie silliness, Veronica being a right bitch, instead of a Dorothy Parker accolyte, Betty as girl next door, not crazed detective. It's nice to remind myself occasionally of how the Archie gang used to be. Not that there's anything wrong with the new interpretations, but there's still definitely a place for these old versions.

To be continued.

No comments: