Pages

Feb 9, 2017

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 715: Hot Stuff, The Little Devil #115, March 1973

https://www.comics.org/issue/227135/

I don't really have much to say about this one. Hot Stuff, and his pal Casper, have never really resonated with me. Much like their comrade Richie Rich, these characters inhabit a very strange, decidedly surreal world. There are countries that bear no resemblance whatsoever to our own world, and a plethora of weird and wonderful creatures that everyone seems to take completely in stride. Hot Stuff visits a land where there's bizarre weather that changes on an almost minutely basis (it's called Calgary), yet no one reacts to the fact that he's literally a tiny devil. They just talk to him like that's a thing that happens.

I think that Harvey comics is probably one of the most underrepresented publishers in my collection. I like Richie Rich well enough when I was young, though I definitely skewed more to Archie. And I was raised on Doctor Who comics, so the children's stuff that Harvey, or Dell, produced just never seemed to draw me in. I'll get to it eventually, as I will with all things in the collection, but it just doesn't really call to me.

To be continued.

No comments: