Pages

Sep 8, 2016

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 561: Mutant, Texas: Tales of Sheriff Ida Red #1, May, 2002 (Western Week, Day 4)

http://www.comics.org/issue/315999/

So, this is my kind of Western. Mutants formed by the conjunction of a comet crashing into a nuclear power station with the spiritual magic of the landscape produces an isolated town in the wilds of Texas populated by anthropomorphic plants and animals, and one or two mundanes as well.

With a team like Paul Dini and J. Bone, you're pretty much assured a quality comic. While Dini is something of a superstar thanks to his Batman Adventures work, he's not necessarily seen in the same light with print comics. And Bone is a reliable and innovative illustrator who's carved out a nice little niche in the industry over the last few decades. As far as I know they've worked together a bit on Dini's Jingle Belle one-shots, and Mutant grows out of that collaboration. Ida's a lovely character, as is Tia Oso. I remember when the series came out, slightly before my comic store shut down (which might account for my only having the first 2 issues), and Oni hyped the heck out of it. Well, as much as a smaller company like Oni can, that is.

Rambling today. Sorry. I'm pretty sick right now. This was a good comic, definitely a Western that's up my alley. As with Pilgrim yesterday, we've got a nice mixture of the Western tropes with the Sci-fi tropes, and perhaps that's what's working for me. A quick look through the rest of this week's comics reveals much more traditional fare, so we'll see what happens with them.

Bah. I'm going to go sit on the couch and feel gross. Onward.

No comments: