Pages

Apr 30, 2016

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 431: SpaceSquatch: State of the Union Digress, 2015 (Little Tiny Break in "War Week" Day Only!)

You knew it was going to happen, right?

http://www.jameszintel.com/

This was an amazingly strange comic. Had I known how strange this comic was going to be, I would have bought everything on James Zintel's table at the Calgary Comic Expo.

(Oh, so I was at the Calgary Expo today, my first time since moving to the city 3.5 years ago. It was awesome, and I'll write it up properly [promise this time, not like my Edmonton con failure to launch] eventually. I came home with art and comics and amazing Kirby Krackle albums. More on that later.)

I don't know what I was expecting from a comic about a Sasquatch in Outer Space, who is "Future President of Freedom." I actually am not sure I can describe it adequately. It's less stories, and more little poems of disorder and cuteness. SpaceSquatch is faced with strange situations, and answers them with stranger situations. Glorious little visualizations of the ridiculous. My favourite is a strip in which SpaceSquatch fires an Afro onto his head, leaps from his chair, and yells "Super Fly!"

Go to James Zintel's website and throw money at him so he can continue to make little gems of strangeness like this.

Onward.

No comments: