Pages

Apr 29, 2016

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 430: Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos #136, October 1976 (War Week, Day 3)

http://www.comics.org/issue/30336/

As with last week's Marvel Ai, I just can't leave my beloved superheroes alone for too, too long, though today's issue is only sort of related. Well, that's not true - given that it's an origin story for Nick Fury, it's a pretty fundamental part of Marvel U history, even it it's been retconned out of existence.

The story's not great, but also not terrible, telling the origin of the Howling Commandos, replete with racial epithets that are, at least, appropriate to the time period, and with bullets-flying-everywhere battle scenes. One interesting thing is that though there are indeed a number of problematic racial constructions of both Japanese and German people, the Commandos themselves are also racial stereotypes, so at least in their essentializing, Marvel were somewhat equal opportunity.

I've not much else to say about this comic. It was good, but that's all. The art and writing were competent, but the story was middling.

Tomorrow I'll be at the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo, giving a paper at 12:30, and wandering about for most of the rest of the day. Not sure when I'll get a chance to post tomorrow, and depending on my haul of goodies, we may take a brief break from "War Week," just so I can show off my finds from the con. Onward!

No comments: