Pages

Apr 11, 2016

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 412: Doktor Sleepless #1, July 2007

http://www.comics.org/issue/368906/

It's been a long while since I've read a Warren Ellis comic. For a long while, I got sick of his repetition of characterization. It's like everyone he ever wrote was a different version of Spider Jerusalem. And while I'm okay with that kind of Moorcockian parallel hero shtick, Ellis' characters just seemed to me to be mouthpieces through which the writer could spew his vitriol toward the ills he perceived in society.

I'm not saying that that's not what's going on in this comic, but at least there's a bit more characterization to the Doktor.

I've not too much to say about this comic. It was very much an introductory piece, both to the characters and to the world they inhabit. I feel like this is a very early chunk of The City's history (from Transmetropolitan), and, should I ever get my hands on the balance of the series, that's how I'll be treating it. Unless it gets weird, which is always a possibility with Mr. Ellis.

Onward.

No comments: