Pages

Apr 1, 2016

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 402: BIONICLE #8, September 2002

http://www.comics.org/issue/275185/

This cover plays on a particular trope of mainstream comics that irks me slightly. Of course it's not the end of the Toa - how could that possibly be, especially in a comic that is, for the most part, an ad for the toys of the Toa? But though it irks me, I also have to respect it, if only slightly. Such hyperbole is endemic of the popular comics genres, a cleaving to the sensational that comics seem to have contracted from film advertising. Though I think, in this case at least, rather than offering the possibility of an "END," to advertise the fact of the Toas' transformation into Toa Nuva could have been just as exciting, and would have seemed less disingenuous.

Enough for today. I'm very tired. Onward!

No comments: