Pages

Mar 11, 2016

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 381: 7 Guys of Justice #8, July 2001


I know I made the claim a few days back that one of the failings of this series was its lack of focussed story after the first three issues. I was wrong, which just goes to show that it's been far too long since I've read 7 Guys. Issues 1 -3 were "The Jerque Imperative," issues 4 and 5 the Bad Art storyline, issue 6 a standalone, and issues 7 and 8 (so far) the Baron Brilliance story. I'm not sure why my recollection of the series was so wrong. I'll blame it on the stress of running my store that was overshadowing everything at the time I originally collected this series.

So, that said, what we're seeing is not only a comic that is trading on superheroic characteristics as far as the members of the team, but also drawing on "traditional" narratives in superhero stories. Dr. Jerque seeks to destroy Big City, teaming up with an alien collective (THE BEAVER COLLECTIVE!!!). Bad Art is released from prison, and seeks revenge on the hero who caught him all those years ago. And now we're in the midst of a tale of an alternate world ruled over by a megalomaniacal dictator. All familiar stories from so many superhero comics.

Though, interestingly, I think I'd associate the series more with riffing on Marvel than on DC. It could be that ground level feel of the early Marvel comics, telling stories of "regular" people with superpowers, rather than the god-like figures of the DCU. I will say, however, that the only team I've ever read that bickers more than the 7 Guys is DC's Doom Patrol, so it's actually a nice mix of both of the big two.

One last thing to note: this issue's title is "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Brilliance," trading on the title of Dave Eggers' well-known novel. Yesterday in class I was talking to my students about the importance in literary studies of recognizing the conversations works have with one another. I'm not sure what 7 Guys and Dave Eggers are talking to each other about, but I'm sure it's amazing. We'll finish up with Baron Baran Von Brilliance tomorrow. See you then.

No comments: