Pages

Mar 4, 2016

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 374: The Saga of Crystar, Crystal Warrior #2, July 1983


Had to get a little bit more Crystar in, though I don't have issue 3, so this'll be it for now.

I have to admit that I'm surprised at how the transformation from human to crystal being is being handled in this series. People around the transformed characters are horrified, the wizard who transformed them admits to knowing nothing, really, of the process, and even those who were transformed themselves are put off by their new state. I'm finding it to be a slightly more believable tale of transformation than many of the superhero comics I cleave to. Crystar and his compatriots are struggling with this change, rather than simply embracing it and becoming heroes.

I'm rather chuffed to see Bret Blevins' art in this series. He did a fairly sustained run on The New Mutants with Louise Simonson that I remember fondly from my youth, and I've always loved the roundness he puts into his female faces. That said, I'm not totally sure why all of the women in this series are either nude or mostly nude (aside from it being a comic produced in the 80s, ostensibly for pre-pubescent boys). But this odd choice of clothing (or lack thereof) aside, he work is, unsurprisingly, really great.

The other thing that this series has surprised me with is the political angle of the story. Feldspar refuses outright in this issue to allow Crystar to take the throne, claiming that to take the throne by force would be wrong, and that he will rule as regent until the two brothers settle their differences and take the throne together. Considering that this series is founded on a conflict between order and chaos, and spawned a toy line dependent on conflict, the suggestion that the narrative is heading toward peaceful resolution is quite remarkable. I wonder if it got the chance to see that story through.

(Of course, seeing as how Moltar is working for Morgan Le Fay in Weirdworld, perhaps it didn't.)

Onward!

No comments: