Pages

Dec 4, 2015

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 283: Amelia Rules! Free Comic Book Day 2004


(A late-ish night tonight, so I'll get back to The Infinite Loop tomorrow.)

I've known of Amelia Rules! for a little while now. I may actually have given one of the graphic novels to my niece for Christmas a few years back. Jimmy Gownley's Amelia is a smart, tender, funny comic that, while definitely geared toward children, is just sophisticated enough to have something for the older reader as well. This issue is a selection of bits and pieces of the series up til 2004, and in between the superhero club houses and first day of school, we get a sense of a young girl dealing with her parents' divorce and a move to a new town. Sometimes we forget how traumatic childhood can be, even without something like the split of one's parents. From what little I've read of the series, Amelia appears to handle these traumas with aplomb and good humour. Mostly.

The back-up story in this issue is called "Bloop," and it's about a green monkey and a squirrel trying to have a picnic when they are attacked by a robot-looking guy riding a giant snake with arms.

I don't think there's anything more I can say about that story that isn't said in that sentence above. Except that the art is just fricking gorgeous.

More children's comics tomorrow!

No comments: