Pages

Nov 20, 2015

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 269: Chase #2, March 1998


Chase's second issue features that tried and tested standby of superhero tales: the team-up.

Unfortunately for Chase, her team-up is with the Suicide Squad.

It really is a dark and nasty corner of the DCU that this series takes place in. I feel like, had he not been a Vertigo mainstay at the time, Constantine would have been a brilliant guest star in this title. Along with Chronos and The Creeper, Chase charted the outskirts of Vertigo-dom in the late 90s. It's that place where it's not quite glamorous enough for the Bat-titles.

The juxtaposition of Cameron's argument with her boyfriend with scene of her and the squad traipsing through the jungle are really lovely, really well-done. We've all had those days where it didn't matter the situation or the focus required for it, something that happened at home keeps replaying in our heads. Sometimes something good. More often something bad, I think. Chase doesn't let it bother her, and neither should we, I suppose.

I must admit to being a bit surprised at a cliffhanger ending to this issue. Quite literally, actually. It seems a bit early for extended stories. I think I would have done one more standalone. Just to stir in a bit more flavour.

This morning I went through a list of appearances by Chase both prior to the series and subsequent to it. I turned out to have about seven of them. When I found them in my database, they'd already been marked with "Chase appearance." I think I've sort of been in love with Cameron Chase for a while now. It's good to finally be able to admit it out loud.

So, more Chase tomorrow. And I'm hoping to track down some of her other appearances this weekend!

No comments: