Pages

Oct 22, 2015

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 240: Advanced Dungeons & Dragons #11, October 1989


Oh, I must be getting to that point of having read enough of this series. I'm about to be critical.

The crocodile that Onyx faces in the actual comic is not quite so big as to be able to swallow him whole. I was waiting for the monstrous croc, and when I came to the 3 panels or so that this scene actually takes up in the comic, I was a bit disappointed.

I've figured out what it is about this particular story arc that's bugging me, and it has everything to do with the fact that it's a new writer. I'm not sure why Mishkin took a break after his first arc, but Grubb's really does feel like a fill-in issue, stretched over four issues.

That said, there does seem to be an intrigue being build that involves some of the politicians and nobles who inhabit the higher strata of Waterdeep's society, so it'll be interesting to see if our intrepid heroes end up enmeshed in a large-scale political battle. Those are always fun in fantasy worlds, though I think we'll probably have slightly less incest than Game of Thrones. I do hope they continue this story line, as it really could rescue the series from being a monster of the week sort of title.

We'll finish up this story tomorrow, and then move on to something else, maybe back to Alpha Flight. Reading a single story line, or trade paperback's worth of comics seems the best idea. You'd think this far into the project, I'd have figured that out already. Ah well.

No comments: