Pages

Oct 8, 2015

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 226: Alpha Flight v.1 #3, Oct. 1983


Read this today. Really tired. Will blog it tomorrow.

(Oct. 11, 2015)

The story inside this issue is pretty standard B-grade superteam stuff. If you compare it to the Avengers and X-Men stuff that was going on at the same time, it's comparable in aesthetic, but just not nearly as compelling.

That said, this cover is one of the most striking superhero comic covers I've ever seen. The completely angular backgrounds, the use of negative space to define Aurora's curves against that backdrop. Really quite splendid. I don't often like Byrne's art (as the previous Alpha Flight post attests), but this cover is amazing.

One thing I will comment on in this comic is the origin story of "The Master," who, if I'm not mistaken, becomes one of Alpha Flight's nemeses. It's basically the same story as Vandal Savage, which is really just sloppy storytelling. Canadian stereotypes fight ripped off DC villain.

Could someone perhaps explain to me why this series is held in such high regard? I'm not being facetious there. I really would like to know if there's something I'm missing.

No comments: