Pages

Oct 3, 2015

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 221: Black Bastard Wizard World Chicago Preview Edition, 2001


So this is a weird comic. We'll round off the week of self-published comics with something I've had in my collection for a long time, but I'm still unsure as to whether I enjoy it or not.

I've read it a few times over the years since I first got it at the Fan Expo in Toronto. I'm still not sure if it's a savagely ironic send up of the "Blaxploitation" films and television shows of the late Seventies, or if it's just mean. I like to err on the side of the former, because I'm eternally optimistic, but it's a pretty harsh comic.

And funny. Don't get me wrong. But harsh.

I'm not sure I have too much to say about it. The story really does poke fun at all of the ridiculous disco-era tropes that gave us the likes of Shaft and Foxy Brown. What is kind of cool about it, though, is that it takes these tropes and completely eviscerates them, but in a kind of loving way. It kind of acknowledges the wistfulness of nostalgia, but attacks with the fury of understanding.

Which I guess makes it a pretty fascinating comic. But it's definitely a weird comic.

No comments: