Pages

Jun 6, 2015

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 102: Advanced Dungeons & Dragons #5, April 1989


I managed today to find a copy of AD&D #8, so I've got the complete "The Spirit of Myrrth" storyline, which I'll report on for the next 4 days. Of our previous group of adventurers, only the three pictured above are featured in this story. No word on what has happened to Timoth or Agrivar, but I quite like the idea that the cast can fluctuate. It gives the comic a sort of fantasy-Avengers kind of feel. The other nice thing about this story, as the title attests, is that it's not taking itself seriously. The adventurers are contacted by the ghost of a famous jester to stop his grave from being robbed. There are some truly amusing moments in this initial issue, mostly centering on Onyx's attempts at humour, and Myrrth's attempts to educate him in humour. There are rumblings of the ongoing stories that were set up in the first storyline, with the bearded stranger, who knows Vajra somehow, and his cat-eyed child who might be more cat than child. The writing still suffers a bit from the name-dropping that I mentioned previously, but it's starting to feel....not exactly natural, but like it's a part of the aesthetic of the fantasy story that's being told. The really important thing is that I'm very much enjoying the series, and I'm planning on procuring the rest of it. I like the characters, the setting of Waterdeep engenders all sorts of nostalgic feelings, and the writers and artist seem to have a good handle on the characters and the type of story they're interested in telling. I'm curious as to whether we'll see an even larger over-arching storyline, a campaign to these individual adventures, but that'll have to wait for a while.

I'm tired today. My in-laws have been visiting for the last few days and it's been quite a whirlwind of activity. Next week I'll try to get back to a bit more critical thought, as well as the personal reminisce, once I've a bit more energy to devote to the project. See you tomorrow.

No comments: