Pages

May 29, 2015

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 94: 2099: World of Tomorrow #6, February 1997


Another stab at entering the world of 2099, which has this week seen a brief rebirth in "Secret Wars." I know that if I'd followed the series, I'd probably have some idea of what was going on in this comic, but I don't know the characters, I don't know the setting, and the only things that are remotely familiar to me are Dr. Doom and a version of Spider-Man. I'm not sure that that's enough to foster some kind of enjoyment/emotional investment.

Also, the fact that the main villain is Magus and the Phalanx really smacks of early New Mutants (and no one draws the Phalanx better that Sienkiewicz), and of that crossover that introduced Generation X. I've never found the Phalanx to be particularly compelling villains, but that might be because they were so overused in the eighties and nineties that they lost any antagonistic power they may have had.

I've not much else to say about this comic. The art was pretty good, though a bit messy and hard to understand at points. The story needed tightening. There were too many threads unraveling at the same time, and even if I knew all the characters, I'm not sure I would have enjoyed the abrupt jumps from one to another.

After this comic, I think there's only three comics left in the numbers section of the Storage collection. Almost to the letter A! See you tomorrow.

No comments: