Pages

May 25, 2015

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 90: Moon Knight #15, July 2015


I know I said that every 30 days I'd do a special comic, but two things occur to me: first, I'm super-busy right now and completely lost track of what day I was on. Second, I don't have that many special comics to write about, so perhaps I'll save the next one for a big anniversary, like my 100th comic (in just 10 short days' time!). So instead today I present Moon Knight #15.

I was going to stop reading Moon Knight after Warren Ellis and Declan Shalvey left the title (I'm getting a strange feeling of deja vu as I write this), but then I gave their successors a try. And it was soooo worth it. Brian Wood and Greg Smallwood continued the Ellis/Shalvey aesthetic perfectly, added some flourishes of their own, and left after 6 issues. Along comes Cullen Bunn (with both Ron Ackins and German Peralta), and the transition was once again smooth, and there's new and interesting developments in the series. For a while there I thought it was going to be a "monster of the week" sort of set up, with MK fighting something and then moving on to the next thing, but Bunn has added an interesting undercurrent that, if I'm honest, has been building since this beginning of this relaunch. Moon Knight might be the fist of Khonshu, but he doesn't always have to agree with Khonshu. And vice versa, for that matter.

My enjoyment of the title aside, I'm not quite sure how it's fitting into the "Secret Wars" event, unless this is Moon Knight in the amalgamated Manhattan that exists on Battleworld. Or it could be that the series will just ignore the crossover and get on with telling some great stories about a completely underused, and misunderstood, I think, character.

Long story short, the Moon Knight relaunch, along with The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, is one of two real surprises I've had from Marvel over the last year. Not big splashes like the introduction of the female Thor, just solid and thoroughly entertaining comics.

See you tomorrow.

No comments: