Pages

May 3, 2015

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 68: The Score #2, 1989


Back to our regularly-scheduled program. So to speak.

The Score number two continues to build a cool sort of retro-future noir vibe, and Philip Sand's amnesia, and the myriad people who claim to know him and what was done to him, are weaving an interesting web.

It's a big web. And I'm not entirely sure I'm seeing the whole thing properly, but I'm trusting to the storytellers that things will wrap in a satisfactory sort of way.

I've been reading DeMatteis and Barr's Brooklyn Dreams of late, which came out of Paradox Press, Piranha's successor imprint. It's a thoroughly postmodern book, very much of the ilk of Shea and Wilson, or Ishmael Reed's Mumbo Jumbo. The Score, coming from an earlier attempt at a literary comic publisher, oozes low modernity, the kind of thing you'd see in detective novels of the 30s and 40s, the pulps and such. There are arguments made that Herriman's Krazy Kat is our (meaning comics scholars') modernist text, but I think that because the medium is relatively young, we're experiencing a lot of these historic literary periods simultaneously. That bears a bit more thought than I have for a Sunday night, but I'll keep it in my head.

An issue featuring Moon Knight tomorrow. The contrasts are striking, but are definitely keeping things interesting.

No comments: