Pages

Mar 4, 2015

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 8: 2000 A.D. Presents v.2 #8, November 1986


Published by Quality Periodicals, Inc.

I think I'm going to stop listing the publisher. Does it add anything to the project to leave it in? I suppose it's interesting when a property changes publishers. I'm thinking of Angela's recent introduction into the Marvel Universe, and not just as a background figure, but a major player. I haven't read any of it, but I wonder if she remembers her past in McFarlane-Land? What does that do for my dissertation?

So, no more publishers. I'll mention them if they're important. If you want to know who published a particular comic, ask in the comments.

This was another 2000 A.D. comic. The new story, about an unjustly-convicted criminal on a space station prison planning a jail break. His cellmate is a squat Mongolian man, and let's just say Gerry Finley-Day does not have Alan Moore's facility with scripting dialect. It's really appalling. I'll admit to getting swept up in the end of Moore and Baikie's Skizz. It's actually wildly political, which I don't think I remember noticing the last time around. I was chatting with my friend Ian last night and he suggested that to really "get" this era of 2000 A.D., perhaps you had to have been a victim of Margaret Thatcher's United Kingdom. When you consider the writers, the brilliant, weird, disturbing writers to have come out of that place and that time, imagine what being there must have been like.

I think Skizz gets us to the basics of that in an accessible way. It's a protest comic. In the end it is a story about people standing up to the structures that govern their lives. And about those people realizing that there is a better way, and that all they have to do is stand up.

I guess 2000 A.D. is finally getting to me. 

On an unrelated note, the index number in my database tells me that this is entry #5806. I'm not sure of the significance of this, but I wanted to put in something random.

No comments: