Pages

Mar 2, 2015

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 6: 2000 A.D. Monthly v.1 #5, August 1985

http://www.comics.org/issue/40355/

Published by IPC Magazines Ltd.

Yep. Totally, amazingly (said Waldo "D.R." Dobbs) getting tired of 2000 A.D. I know there's those that love it, for whom it's a cherished childhood memory.
I'm not one of those people. 
This issue's "Dredd" story was okay, but just okay. Same with "Strontium Dog." "D.R. and Quinch" was slightly better, if only because it featured a cross-dressing shell-shocked alien soldier, and that's not something you see every day.
6 more days of 2000 A.D., if memory serves, and I think that'll be just about enough until I get to the magazine format ones in my magazine collection. And that, honestly, could be decades from now. The later monthlies that I'll be reading this week have a more diverse selection of stories ("Harry 20," "Dan Dare"), so the variety will be nice. I'm not sure what it is about 2000 A.D. that I'm not enjoying. Is it perhaps the weekly format that requires a much quicker turnaround for stories, coupled with the smaller portions in each issue? Do these factors lead to stories that seem to be all surface, no depth?

No comments: