Pages

Mar 7, 2015

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 11: 2000 A.D. Presents v.2 #12, December 1987


One little known fact about my comics collecting habits is that I have a soft spot for Christmas comics. This is not one. The cover's a Christmas cover, but there's no actual Christmas story within. D.R. and Quinch actually manage to have the Earth destroyed, rather than saved.

This'll be my last 2000 A.D. for a while. I have to admit to having enjoyed "Harry Twenty" more than I thought I would, though I still maintain that Gerry Finley-Day writes some pretty bad dialogue. But the prison escape story is neat. I may have to try and track down the bits and pieces of the story that I'm missing, just to see how it all turns out.

The last week and a bit of these comics has solidified my position on Judge Dredd and his universe, however. It just didn't grab me. That's not to say, necessarily, that it's not good, and maybe the stories that were reprinted here were just not great ones. I've not read any of Garth Ennis' Dredd stories, and he's an amazing writer who probably spatters the Dredd-verse in all kinds of bodily fluids. But the Judge Anderson stuff in these last few was pretty weak.

Today was a long day of academic conference speak. I co-chaired my department's conference, the theme of which was "Freaks and Geeks," and there was surprisingly little comics talk. Which, honestly, is good. Sometimes I feel like comics scholars are the standard bearers of geekdom in the academy, so it was nice to have some film and television papers, some video game papers. There was one paper on "Homestuck" that has convinced me that I have to read this insane web comic. But that'll have to wait until my road to Secret Wars is done.

See you tomorrow.

No comments: