Pages

Sep 25, 2021

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 2303: Scary Miss Mary #1, June 2001

For information on stopping the spread of COVID-19, and on the importance of being vaccinated, have a look at the World Health Organization site.

 


 Oh, hey. How's it going?

Let's jump back in with a comic that has no GCD presence. As far as I can tell, this comic is linked to a clothing brand called Fine Clothing. I don't know anything else about it, nor, really, do I need to. The comic conforms to the Slave Labor Graphics aesthetic that was enjoying something of a peak back in the early Naughts. Miss Mary is trading on the paths laid by comics like Gloomcookie and Johnny the Homicidal Maniac. Cute, but will fucking gut you without a moment's hesitation.

So, yeah, this was a cute comic that, for all intents and purposes, is a long-for ad for a clothing brand. I've got a couple of comics of this ilk in the collection, one from JNCO Jeans that springs to mind in particular. It's an odd pairing, and I'd be very interested to see how much of an impact on visibility or sales a comic like this had on the clothing brand to which it was yoked.

Now, what I will say is that some of the choices Mary makes in the comic reminded me so much of my kid when they were growing up that I had to have a bit of affection for the little goth lady and her attempts to fit into the black eyeliner-free world. In particular, the tale of Mary's class making dolls at home and then having a show and tell - Mary shows up with a voodoo doll stuck with pins, whom she loves dearly, which no one really understands.

Anyway, I'm back, I guess. I don't think the project's going to be daily anymore. I just don't have that in me at the moment. I'm going to try to do some other things. I've been having some thoughts in the months I've been away from the blog. If I can get my ass in gear, and kick the ADHD to the curb every now and again, there'll be some neat things, I hope.

More to follow.

No comments: