Pages

Apr 7, 2019

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 1503: Action Comics #776, April 2001


One of the things that also kept me from reading the Superman titles at this point in their publication history is an old story that made the rounds at the time. Apparently Grant Morrison, Mark Millar, Tom Peyer, and Mark Waid proposed a revamp of Superman that would have seen Superman's powers increase due to his prolonged radiation exposure, and would have dealt with the ramifications of this increase.

Can you imagine those four writers doing Superman stories? Peyer's The Wrong Earth is one of the best superhero titles on the racks. Millar blew minds (some literally) in The Authority. Morrison and Waid defined the DCU of the 90s (which is probably why they didn't get this redefining shot as well).

The reason I bring this up is that I'm actually super-impressed with the writers on these titles right now. Aside from Mr. Schultz, I'm familiar with the names, though I've only ever followed up on Joe Casey. I know Joe Kelly, today's writer, went on to take over JLA after Mark Waid's tenure, and I what I read of that run is quite good. But it just goes to show that you can't limit yourself, much as that's a good way to not spend every cent you have on comics. I love Grant Morrison's stuff, but titles like Klaus, or the work he's doing in Heavy Metal, don't really speak to me as much as his older stuff. Branching out, not following writers or artists, but taking chances on new comics and creators, though a gamble, very often pays off.

This, I think, really speaks to the quality of editors through whom these stories pass. But that's a conversation for another day.

"What's with the giant key?"

No comments: