Pages

Jan 30, 2019

The Faces of Glory - Alan Moore's Glory #1 [Linsner Variant, Avatar Press]

Finally got around to scanning all of these, so back to it. I will say, in the interim I have been looking in local stores for the errant covers. No luck yet, but I have a couple of places I want to check out soon.

Joseph Michael Linsner is very well known for drawing a very specific female form. He's very, very good at it. This Glory cover is no exception.


This is the Linsner variant of Avatar's first issue. I think, of the covers I have, Linsner's pushes Glory the furthest toward the realms the retooled character would chart in Promethea. There's something of a tarot card to this cover. I've noticed that each of the artists has a particular aspect of the character that they privilege. Mychaels errs more toward the fantasy warrior, closest I think to the original incarnation of the character. Park's covers (none posted yet) are definitely the most superheroic, Glory at her most Wonder Woman. Linsner gives us the metaphoric aspect of the goddess.

No comments: