Pages

Sep 16, 2018

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 1299: Snowbuni, January 1991

https://www.comics.org/issue/307619/

The title character in today's comic might well be the textbook definition of fan service. At least, a few times, the comic itself comments on Snowbuni's...ummm...unconventional?....attire.

I decided to give this comic a go because it's publisher, MU Press, is one of the ones that seems to have in some way carried on from the undergrounds. There's a few publications from MU listed in the Fogel guide to undergrounds, though Snowbuni is not.

It also seems that this is the end of a story that took place elsewhere. An editorial in the comic notes that the title character has been around in mini comics for quite some time, and it looks like this full-size comic finishes things off. So, as happens so many times, I have no clue what the heck was going on. That said, there were a couple of short, funny stories that were quite amusing, and didn't rely too much on a great back knowledge of the characters.

I gave a talk recently on queer comics just before the Pride march. One of the attendees asked why I hadn't mentioned furry comics in my talk, and I had to admit that my exposure to them is quite limited. But there's quite a lot of these anthropomorphic science fiction epic series out and about. Perhaps I'll have to find a good one to read.

More to come...

No comments: