Pages

Jul 19, 2018

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 1240: M. Rex Preview #1, July 1999


I'm selective when it comes to reading preview or ashcan comics as part of this project. Sometimes they're nothing more than sketchbooks, and I don't think I can count them. I'll be doing a series of special posts about such ephemera as the sketchbook, and the swimsuit special (!). But today's preview edition has a fair amount of actual story, albeit in pencil-only format. Actually, I had to add this comic to the GCD, and I can't find an record of others. I'm not even sure if the series got past the preview stage. Rouleau and Kelly are pretty big names, though. It would be surprising if they didn't have the opportunity to at least start the series.

The problem is, though, that it's a preview that doesn't really suck me in. We get a bit of introduction to some characters, but no real idea of what the storyline is. The best part, IMHO, is the commentary we get on the sketchbook section of the comic by three nanobots, one of whom is...evil? When pressed with the question "What's a secret agent with a burgeoning conscience to do?!?", it responds "I would set fire to his hair, and beat it out with a goat."

That line is pretty gold.

More to come...

No comments: