Pages

Jul 9, 2018

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 1230: Kid Eternity (1991) #1, 1991

https://www.comics.org/issue/49018/

In the late 80s and early 90s, Grant Morrison wrote a number of comics that are considered amongst some of the great superheros stories. Doom Patrol. Animal Man. Arkham Asylum. But he also wrote today's series, a 3-issue prestige format pre-Vertigo revamp of Kid Eternity. It didn't take off quite the same way that his other works did, though a couple of years later the Kid gets his own series from Vertigo. We'll get to that soonish, I think.

I'm not sure what it is about this series that doesn't take, but my recollection of it was that it was relatively normal. Well, sort of. It's a messed up and weird Grant Morrison story, but to me it reads in a lot of ways like he is trying to write an Alan Moore story. Not that I would put this past Morrison at all. Duncan Fegredo's art is, as usual, amazing, and painted, and really scary. Definitely a Dave McKean-ish vibe. I was about to say that there was influence, until I realized that the two were, in comics, relatively contemporaneous.

I wonder if it's a combination of the artist and the writer, both of whom were skirting the edges of the form at the time. Perhaps it's just too much weird.

Nah.

More tomorrow...

No comments: