Pages

Jul 7, 2018

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 1228: Marvel Tales #156

https://www.comics.org/issue/1741388/

As I settled down to read Junk Culture #2 today, I found out that Steve Ditko had passed away. So I thought it fitting to read one of his comics today.

I've talked about Mr. Ditko before, (and, actually, as I look back for the link to his stuff in my project, I realize I've read quite a few of his comics here), and about my thoughts on him and his work. I've come to think of him as comics's version of Thomas Pynchon. A weird kind of outsider, no interest in the mainstream, writes or does whatever the hell they want, which subsequently changes the culture around them. And both seem to have been in their heyday in the 60s or so. This is how he's being eulogized at Marvel, as a cultural force, and it's a completely fair assessment. He helped create Spider-Man.

What I think gets me about his death is that I've known his art my whole life. In my very first review of his work, in the Creeper's 1st Issue Special, I noted that I've been reading him almost 40 years. Regardless of whether or not I've always enjoyed his work, it's been a presence in my life almost longer than I'm currently conscious of.

Also, he helped create Squirrel Girl, who is, these days, one of the greatest gifts to superhero fiction of all time. All. Time.

Oh, today's comic was pretty good. Spider-Man overcomes and existential crisis and decides to not quit being a superhero. I feel like he does this a lot.

More to come...


No comments: