Pages

May 27, 2018

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 1187: Amar Chitra Katha #701, December 2012

https://www.comics.org/issue/1334862/

I was going to read a Batman comic today, but then I found this absolute gem in a thrift shop, and read it while waiting for my wife to complete her Bulk Barn trip. I've a couple of other comics from this publisher, and indeed grabbed a couple more today, but this is the first one I've had a chance to read in translation. The others were given to me as a gift from a kind friend who had travelled home and knew of my love of comics.

This is a historical tale of a young woman of humble origins who becomes a benevolent and beloved Queen. I'm put in mind of an Indian Classics Illustrated, though the catalog of available works includes not only classic adaptations, but heroic biographies, myths, fables, and even some contemporary works. Having read some of the English translations, I'm tempted to track down some more. I've always wished I'd taken a course on South Asian myths in university. It's such a rich set of stories, and every time I've encountered them, I've enjoyed them immensely. And where I quite enjoyed the modern takes on the myths in the India Authentic series from Virgin Comics, these comics exude a certain naive quality that I find suits the tenors of the stories quite well. I can see these being comics that speak equally well to older and younger readers.

Some more random stuff for a few days, and then onto June.

More to come...

No comments: