Pages

Mar 28, 2018

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 1127: Sandman Mystery Theatre #7, October 1993

https://www.comics.org/issue/53754/

Where the last couple of issues have simmered, this one started to boil, threatening in tomorrow's issue to boil over.
(I'm cooking dinner tonight - got kitchen on the brain!)

I know at some point in the future, Dian finds out that Wesley Dodds is the Sandman. The two spend their lives together, so I know that there is romance in the offing, and revelations. I just don't know when it's going to happen. And as I get deeper into the comic (I know, I know, it's three issues, but it's really good), I know I'm going to want to track down all the issues I'm missing. If only to see their romance blossom.

Which is a lot of comics.

This brings me to a conundrum. Do I splurge and get the trade collections of the series, even though I have just under half of the series scattered throughout the entire run, or do I track down the individual issues, which can sometimes be found for quite cheap?

That said, I've just had a very quick browse for the trades, and they seem to be out of print already. Back to the dollar bins I go!

The Sandman faces off against the killer, and so does Jimmy.

Oh, and right there at the top of the letters page? An apology for the colouring in issue #5. It was blamed on a particular colour drying very differently than what they thought it would (I think), and there was much apologizing. 2 issues later! That's a pretty great response time, really, given the point in production today's issue must have been when #5 came out. There's a reason Karen Berger is revered in comics - an editor who understood the fan base to whom she catered, and treated them like intelligent human beings, rather than dollar signs. I'm sure I'm romanticizing her, but I don't really care. So many of my favourite comics came out of her Vertigo.

More to come...

No comments: